I was looking for something to make with zucchini and found this great recipe for zucchini boats. It is very easy but delicious. Adapted from a recipe I found on Taste of Home.
- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 3/4 pound ground beef, ground turkey or if vegan you could use ground crumbles
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Finely chop pulp in food processor of blender
- In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon meat mixture into the zucchini shells. Cover with sauce Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Take out of oven and put on shredded cheese, bake for 3-5 minutes. Take out of oven and serve. Yield: 4 servings.
Looks delicious. I have a recipe something like this but using butternut or acorn squash, turkey Italian sausage, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and minus the spaghetti sauce. I adapted it from a Rachael Ray recipe I found on the Food Network. You can find Rachael’s recipe on-line at the food network, it’s called Roasted Butternut Boats Stuffed with Sausage, Toasted Pasta and Rice, but again, I adapted it and used quinoa instead of rice… YUM!.
Thanks for sharing your recipe and link. Rachael definitely has some great recipes. I like the idea of using quinoa. Did you ever try red quinoa? I just bought some the other day. I will let you know what I think of it. Thanks for all your support