I have been very lax in exercise and motivation since my vacation. Stress has been a major reason for the regression. I know better. I work with people on a daily basis who have given up on the idea of exercise and picking a healthy lifestyle. The consequences of lack of knowledge and motivation are seen every day: diabetes, heart disease and arthritis to name a few. My family history is full of heart disease and arthritis so I know I need to control the factors that I able to control
As a baby boomer, getting in shape does not mean getting into the skinny jeans or the hot little black dress. For me losing weight is to get healthy. To be healthy to me means to be able to do the “Hot Dog” dance with my granddaughter and then go out in the yard and run. It means being able to run for 5 miles and not feel like I have run a marathon. It means getting ALL the clothes in my closet and look good.
I sat down tonight and made a list of all the reasons I need to recommit to healthy and these are some of them:
- To be able to have the energy I need to perform my daily activities.
- My family-I do want to see my granddaughter grow up. My children never had the advantage of having grandparents past grade school. I want to break that mold
- When I exercise I feel “good” -it is hard to describe but there is a definite positive effect on my psyche
- Control those problems such as high cholesterol and painful knees by keeping healthy
- Continue to take advantage of those “good genes” and look younger than my given age (yes I think this is a part of healthy self esteem)
Tonight I begin again in my quest to remain healthy. I had a minor detour but now am back on the main road. Do I have any others who would like to join me or continue to remain accountable to their goals?