Today was the day after the MRI arthrogram. The first thing I noticed was the pain in my hip had returned. I think it is just due to the dye injection and trauma to the tissues. I am hoping it will get better over the weekend
Of course when I arrived at work this morning I immediately looked up results. There in what seemed like bold print were the words consistent with a labral tear. As a point of reference the labrum acts like a socket to hold the ball at the top of your thighbone in place. I not only had one tear but 2.
I had to wait to discuss the findings with my surgeon who ordered the MRI. We did discuss it and as I had already know he did not do the type of surgery I may want to have if that is what I decide. I made the decision to consult with another surgeon.
My options that I am aware of are:
- A cortisone injection into the hip. It does not cure but may give some pain relief and could last over 6 months
- Physical therapy to build up the hip muscles.
- Arthroscopic hip surgery to repair the tear. This may take at least 3 months to return to full capacity.
Unfortunately my decision will not be made until December as this was the soonest I could get in with the other surgeon. The surgeon I am seeing does arthroscopic labral repairs, does work with senior athletes and is a runner. Unless there is a cancellation Dec 11th becomes the day I decide my options and path depending on the answers I get.
I am glad I at least know what is wrong. I can now work around the problem and keep active. For me the waiting is the most difficult part. Stay tuned for part 3 next month