Searching for the Perfect Picture

Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. My family especially my granddaughter is one of my favorite subjects. I actually bought my Canon DSLR camera when she was born in 2010. I took pictures but mainly in the automatic settings. I dabbled with manual but could never quite figure it out. The pictures were nice but I wanted more control over settings. I wanted a picture that captured what I was seeing not what the camera decided to see.

One of the blogs I follow Burgh Baby has many posts that give great information about photography. Michelle is a talented photographer and she also teaches a class which you can read about here. I took the class in February of 2012 and have been shooting in mainly in the manual mode since that time. If  you live in or near Pittsburgh I highly recommend taking her class when she offers another one. I learned to have fun with my camera.

I recently decided I needed to learn more. I wanted to discover more about staging and lighting. I also thought it would be nice to find some other people who liked photography. I could have read books but I am a hands on learner and do better with an instructor.  I received a catalog for non-credit courses for our community college. I found a few classes on photography and chose Photography 101. It is an 8 week course for 3 hours 1 night a week. Trust me, sitting for 3 hours after a full days work can be difficult and evening coffee becomes your friend. I have learned new things and next week will begin to take pictures. The nicest thing is I have met a few new people who have photography as their hobby. We plan to meet and practice our skills in the upcoming weeks.

I feel everyone needs to do something they find relaxing and enjoyable. I have a few hobbies but photography is probably my favorite. It allows me to create a visual memory of  people, nature or events in the way I see and even experience them. What are some of the things you do for relaxation and enjoyment?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Searching for the Perfect Picture

1. Winnie says:

I agree wholeheartedly with you! I am a stamper and card maker, and it makes me so happy just sitting down to make “something”. I dabble in stuff and always try new things. Today I picked up a bunch of books on calligraphy to try and learn. The pictures you shared are great. What a face!! Adorable.

• katsbynp says:

Have fun learning calligraphy. I have some friends who make their own cards and always appreciate receiving their beautiful pieces of art. Thanks for your comments

2. Of course I love the photos of the pup – gorgeous! But I like how you are following up on a hobby you enjoy. I also love photography and will look around for a course. I haven’t used my old 35mm camera in years (does anyone still use old film?) but I miss it because I love the photos it takes. I now use my cell phone, but I do have a small Minolta. I’ll have to look into it.

• katsbynp says:

I don’t know if anyone still uses film but I just checked and they still sell it on Amazon (who knew). Do look into classes. The community college course was inexpensive. Thanks for stopping by

3. When I have time, I enjoy scrapbooking. I always enjoy reading and I love going to the movies although I don’t go as often as I would like. I love to go hiking and I walk almost everyday. I also enjoy bike riding and of course, as I’m out and about, I love people watching. Great photos of your girl Kibbles. Makes me wonder what she’s thinking. XoXo

• katsbynp says:

I have friends who scrapbook and enjoy looking at their creations. I always think I should take my camera to the park near me and capture people and the pets with my camera. Thanks for your support and comments

4. dltolley says:

I write. And write. And occasionally come up for air! 🙂

5. debrapugh says:

Lovely Pup there! : ) I take so many pictures it isn’t even funny. It’s a wonderful hobby and quite a necessary one when blogging, that is for sure ! : )

• katsbynp says:

Kibbles is my pal and my subject to practice some moving photography. Funny this blog is one of the things that spurred me to learn more about photography. You are a talented photographer and I enjoy your pictures.

6. Pingback: A Wonderful World of Color. | Blooming Burgh Boomer