The NaBloPoMo questions today are: Do you enjoy being alone? What do you do when you’re by yourself? I know people who complain they need to have more alone time. One person I know schedules time at a hotel complete with the spa treatment when she is stressed and needs alone time. On the opposite end of the spectrum I have friends and co-workers whose worst fear is being alone. Something as simple as going to the gym alone is an idea they would never entertain.
For me, I am fine being alone at times. I like being alone:
- If I do not feel well (simple flu, virus or headache). I do not like people hovering over me. I appreciate if someone stops in and checks on me but basically I want to sleep, relax and generally be miserable alone
- When I get home from work I need some time to decompress. I think that is why I enjoy taking Kibbles out as soon as I get home. The walk affords me time to just get the workday out of my mind and switch to the home front.
- When needing to run to think or distress. I have tried to run with people when needing to go for a run for this reason and find it not only does not attain the goal of the run but I also have a bad run.
- If I want an interval training workout.
I don’t mind being alone :
- Eating at a local restaurant for breakfast or lunch
- Going out for a day of shopping
- Doing home projects
I do like to be with others as well.
- While being comfortable eating alone at local restaurants I am still uncomfortable going alone to dinner
- Going to the movies, sporting events, theater or the symphony
- Running distances. Trust me running 6 to 13 miles alone can be grueling.
- I like to meet friends for lunch, a weekend get together and impromptu fun with friends and family
I like both being alone and with others. Again that word balance comes to mind. I think it is unhealthy if we do not have both in our lives.