I wanted to give winter soup one last fling. I sometimes go to Panera as they have great loaded baked potato soup but only have a few times a week. I decided I would try to make it myself. I did not make a low-calorie version because in my opinion some things are made to enjoy. I based my recipe on a recipe found here.
8 slices of bacon ( I used uncured turkey bacon)
1 diced medium onion
1 peeled and diced carrot
8 red potatoes cubed
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups of fat-free chicken stock
salt and pepper
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups 2% Greek Yogurt
- In a 6 quart stockpot fry the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels
- In bacon fat cook onions and carrots until onions are translucent
- Add potatoes and cook for about 4 minutes
- Add chicken stock
- Add flour and whisk constantly until well mixed
- Add 4 slices of cooked bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes until potatoes are soft
- Mash some of the potatoes and thicken the soup
- Add whipping cream and yogurt and simmer for 5-8 minutes
- Note: I did add an additional 3/4 cup of stock to get a creamier base.
Ladle soup into bowls add garnishes and serve.