One thing I have never lost is my determination to attempt a new project. If I am told that I should probably wait until someone can help or hire someone when I know I am capable of doing a project you have guaranteed I will try sooner than later.
The project this time was my deck. I stained it 2 years ago but it didn’t seem to wear as well as I thought it should. I did my research (watched the handyman You Tube Videos) and made my list of things I needed. One of the major tools I did not own was a sander. I researched them and purchased one that fit my needs. I also bought the stain and brushes.
The hardest part of the project was getting the weather to cooperate. The weather needs to have no rain in the forecast for 2 days after painting. It is also better if the humidity is lower to allow it to dry properly. I only had the weekends and it was scheduled to rain most Mondays.
The Fourth of July weekend offered everything I needed. The humidity was down and sunny weather was the forecast for the 3 day weekend. I knew this was the perfect time to get the job done.
Here is a picture of the deck before
I was up early on Friday and started by pressure washing the deck. It not only took off dirt but also some of the flaking old stain. I let it dry then brought out the sander and did the rails and the deck floor. It was only in the 60’s but I felt like it was 90. After sanding and sweeping off the excess dust it was time to stain the deck. I did put one coat on but noticed it was going right into the wood. I then realized this would be a 2 day project as it required a second coat.
Saturday I again arose early and wanted to finish the painting before leaving for the Pirate game. I was on a strict schedule but I did get the deck finished.
Sunday I was able to put my furniture out and enjoy the deck. Here are some pictures of the completed job
The only down side was I now have to go buy a new grill. My old grill has tipped a few times with the storms. It was fine when it was on the deck but when I went to move it the screws came out and the lower portion fell apart.
The project was a success and I certainly silenced a few naysayers.