I was given some zucchini by a neighbor. This recipe is based on one I found on Iowa Girl Eats Blog. Since it was not your typical August day of heat and humidity, I decided to try this recipe this weekend. It is a very easy but tasty dish.
2 zucchini Note: Make sure to choose same size zucchini
1 pound ground meat (I chose ground turkey)
4 cups marinara sauce
1/4 fresh basil,chopped
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place a cooling rack on top of a baking pan lined with foil. Mist with oil.
3. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise.
4. Scoop out seeds and make a well in the center of zucchini
5. Brush both sides of the zucchini with olive oil
6. Place cut side down on the cooling rack and place in oven for 20 minutes (depending on size of your zucchini-less time for a smaller zucchini)
7. While zucchini are baking brown the ground meat and basil. Add the 1/2 the marinara sauce and heat.
8. Remove zucchini from oven and flip cut-side up
9. Fill zucchini with meat mixture and put remaining sauce over zucchini. Bake for 10 minutes then remove from oven.
10 Turn broiler on and top the zucchini boats with cheese and place under broiler until cheese melted (and a little crisp on edges)
These are kid approved as I had my granddaughter over (one very picky eater) and she ate an entire filled zucchini half herself. The recipe should serve 4 people
Thank you for this recipe! We have so many zucchini from our garden – I will give this a try!
You will have to come back and let me know how you like it
This looks so good! I made steak kabobs with peppers, onion, mushrooms and zucchini. Loved it I could eat it every day. Definitely going in the garden next year!
I live in a townhouse so there is very little room for a garden. I do miss growing my own veggies.
These look great! 🙂 My son made some boats a week or two ago and was raving about his cooking talent 🙂
Thanks! I bet your son’s boats were excellent!
These look yummy. I will give them a try too. Thanks for the share. XoXo
They are easy and delicious. Thanks for your support and comments. XoXo
I found this recipe from a comment Rena McDaniel left on my blog, and it looks delicious. I shared the link today in a post “My List of Fabulous Finds” on my blog today. Thanks for a great recipe!
You are welcome and thanks for sharing the link.